Thursday, October 10, 2013

10 Funny Things

In America: TJ Maxx. In the UK: TK Maxx
I have been wanting to do a post like this every since we got here. There have been a number of funny experiences/ funny things I've noticed that have been stewing in my brain, that I have been needing to write down. I'm going to share just a few.

1. A few weeks ago I went to the post office to send a package to my little brother who is serving a mission in London, and I could NOT understand a word the worker was saying...it didn't help that there was a clear plastic barrier in between us that muffled his voice. He had the thickest Geordie (northern England) accent, and I swear he was speaking a different language. What's funny is he couldn't understand me either. He started to laugh a little every time I would say something. It was just one great confusing conversation...but hey I got the package sent! We have had quite a few experiences like that, it's hilarious. It's even better when they try to mimic our American accent. Love it.
2. People here don't say butt, they say bum...now imagine that in an English accent. I'm laughing just thinking about it. And you said bum out loud in an English accent just now didn't you?
3. People here greet other people by saying, "Ya all right?" The first time someone asked me this I was like, "ummm yeah I'm fine," wondering if I looked sick or scared or something. It just means hey whats up, or how are you. Daniel and I are starting to say it now when we greet people.
3. They say "cheers" here kind of like an informal thank you. People look at you funny if you say thank you. We say cheers all the time now.
4. I absolutely love the fashion and hairstyles here. Every person is unique, but they are always dressed nice when they go out. Everyone puts thought into what they look like for the day.
5. When someone tells me a crazy story and I'm like, "Holy cow!" and they look at me all confused because they have never heard anybody call a cow holy.
6. A sister missionary saying, "my companion was screaming bloody murder in her sleep," at a relief society activity, and then realizing that she said a really bad English word...hehe.
7. These pictures.


8. People here will call you pet. "Hiya pet!" They also don't pronounce their T's in the middle of words. Shattered sounds like, "sha-ered" Pretty sounds like "Pre-ee" etc.
9. People and grocery stores don't refrigerate their eggs.
10. People are the nicest drivers. When Daniel stalls out in the car (I have never stalled, ahem)  nobody honks! And everyone lets everyone merge like their just one big happy driver family. Don't get me wrong, people drive crazy and fast here, but at least they are nice when they do it!

I have sooo many more I could share, but I won't make this too long. We seriously love this place with all it's funny quirks and kind people. I'm starting to think living here for just a year won't be long enough. 

4 comments:

  1. hahahha loved all those. DO share more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask just before I finished reading this post if you were considering never leaving? :) So fun it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, we are having fun here! It seems like our time is already going by way too fast!

      Delete