People who don't live in England have probably heard someone say at one point or another how gross English food is. It's not entirely true. While there are some foods that taste pretty weird, there are some dang good tasting foods too! Here are just a few that we have tried since living here.
![]() |
| via |
Banoffee Pie, aka HEAVEN!!
Basically it is a pie with carmel/dulce de leche mixed with bananas, whip cream, and chocolate on top. It is very rich and very sweet. The first time we ate it was here when we went to the Newcastle match with some friends from church. I had two slices and Daniel had three! Hands down one of our favorite desserts now. It is really popular in England, but everyone keeps telling me they think it's an American dish. This may be true, but I had never even heard of it in America, so I consider it an English dish! Seriously though, you haven't lived until you have tried this pie. For some reason, sweets taste 100x better in the UK.
Yorkshire pudding. (pronounced york shur)
People usually eat these with their "sunday roasts." Since they have the shape of a bowl, you pour gravy, mashed potatoes, or whatever you want into them. We love these! They are so so good smothered in hot gravy. They are basically like a pancake batter, cooked in muffin tins. Some people even eat them with sweet things inside as a dessert.
Curry.
This may sound weird, but Indian food is probably the most popular food here! There are way more Indian restaurants than any other kind. Believe it or not I had never tried curry before coming to England! One of our first days here we had it at a pub (most pubs have it on their menus) and we loved it. I have home-made it a few times making up my own recipe, and it turned out pretty good! It's an easy dish to make.
Fish n Chips.
England's pride and joy. We are lucky to live in the north where fish n chips are considered the best in the UK. Belle's Fish n Chips is a popular chain here, and there is one called The Codfather (hehe) down the street from our flat (which makes it WAY too easy to eat there). This picture doesn't do it justice, but when you ask for cod n chips, they plop a full on fried fish onto your plate, with thick and fresh cut chips. To finish it off you HAVE to smother it in vinegar and salt. To not to would be a sin. A lot of people here like to eat their fish n chips with a big side of mushy peas. Haven't tried that one yet!
The fish n chips here are by far the best we've ever had. Even if I feel like I need a proper shower after eating them!
That's all the food for this post. Stay tuned for Part 2!
Note: I put the links to where I found these pictures underneath each one. I have not tried these recipes, I was just giving credit for the pictures.





i want to eat them! looks yummy!
ReplyDeletewould you mind to follow each other? :)
greetings from Hong Kong :)
www.basic-classic.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/basicclassic
www.instagram.com/Andianti_
Thanks Ajeng! I am now following your blog. It is super cute! Thanks for stopping by.
DeleteOh my gosh, this all looks amazing! I visited England a few years ago and I actually really enjoyed their foods. A lot of people say the food in England is a little bland on the American taste pallet but I really enjoyed it.
ReplyDeletewww.boardingtogether.blogspot.com
Some of the food here definitely is bland! They have regulations here on how much salt and sugar they can put in store bought products.. So a lot of the stuff tastes pretty bland, but there is still a lot of good stuff like you said. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteMy grandparents are English and I grew up eating Yorkshire puddings. I love them! My husband however is not a fan! I really need to try curry! It looks really yummy!
ReplyDeleteHow awesome! Did you ever try any other English foods from your grandparents? Thanks for commenting Lizzie!
Delete